Internet and Language
- Hale, S. A. (2014). Global Connectivity and Multilinguals in the Twitter Network. In Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’14, ACM.
- Hale, S. A. (Draft). Multilinguals and Wikipedia Editing. arXiv:1312.0976.
- Graham, M., Hale, S. A., and Gaffney, D. (2013). Where in the World are You? Geolocation and Language Identification in Twitter. Professional Geographer. Forthcoming.
- Hale, S. A. (2012). Impact of Platform Design on Cross-language Information Exchange. In Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’12, ACM.
[Preprint copy][Open access link to published version]
- Hale, S. A. (2012). Net Increase? Cross-Lingual Linking in the Blogosphere. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 17(2), 135-151.
Internet and Collective Action / Government
- Hale, S. A., Margetts, H., and Yasseri, T. (2013). Petition Growth and Success Rates on the UK No. 10 Downing Street Website. In Proceedings of the 5th Annual ACM Web Science Conference, WebSci ’13, ACM.
[Preprint copy][Open access link to published version]
- Margetts, H., John, P., Hale, S. A., and Reissfelder, S. (2013). Leadership without Leaders? Starters and Followers in Collective Action on the Internet. Political Studies. Forthcoming.
[Preprint copy] [Published version]
- Yasseri, T., Hale, S. A., Margetts, H. (Draft). Modeling the Rise in Internet-based Petitions.
- Margetts, H., John, P., Reissfelder, S., and Hale, S. A. (Draft). Applying Social Influence to Collective Action: Heterogeneous Personality Effects
- Margetts, H., & Hale, S. A. (2010) User Experiments. Phase 1: Life Events Report (pp. 79-96). In Study on user expectations of a life events approach for designing e-government services, European Commission.
- Graham M., Stephens M., and Hale S. (2013). Mapping the Geoweb: A Geography of Twitter. Environment and Planning A. 45(1) pp. 100–102. Pion Ltd, London. doi:10.1068/a45349
- Graham, M., Hale, S., and Stephens, M. (2012). Featured graphic: Digital Divide: The Geography of Internet Access. Environment and Planning A. 44 (5) pp. 1009-1010. Pion Ltd, London. doi:10.1068/a44497
- Graham, M., Hale, S. A. and Stephens, M. (2011) Geographies of the World’s Knowledge. London, Convoco! Edition. This publication also resulted in an online visualization gallery.
- Oostveen, A., Meyer, E., Cobo, C., Hjorth, I., Reisdorf, B., Papoutsi, C., Power, L., Abdel-Sattar, N., Hale, S. and Waldburger, M. (2011) First Year Report on Scientific Workshop. SESERV Deliverable D1.2, Socio-Economic Services for European Research Projects FP7-2010-ICT-258138-CSA.
- Miloshevic, D., Hale, S., Law, G. (2011) RIPE NCC Membership and Stakeholder Survey 2011.
- Hale, S. A. (2008). Unsupervised Threshold for Automatic Extraction of Dolphin Dorsal Fin Outlines from Digital Photographs in DARWIN (Digital Analysis and Recognition of Whale Images on a Network). vol. Senior Thesis, Eckerd College, 2008.
- Hale, S. A. (2008). A New Approach to Unsupervised Thresholding for Automatic Extraction of Dolphin Dorsal Fin Outlines from Digital Photographs in DARWIN. The Eckerd Scholar 2008. Eckerd College, 65-74.
- Stewman, J., Debure, K., Hale, S., and Russell, A. (2006). Iterative 3-D Pose Correction and Content-Based Image Retrieval for Dorsal Fin Recognition. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, International Conference on Image Analysis and Recognition (ICIAR). Springer-Verlag, September 2006.
Preprint version |Published version |Presentation Slides
- Hale, S.A. (2006). Unsupervised Thresholding Morphological Processing for Automatic Fin-outline Extraction in DARWIN (Digital Analysis and Recognition of Whale Images on a Network). ACM Student Research Competition
- Hale, S. A. (2013) “Cross-language activity in Okinawa on Wikipedia.” Pacific Neighborhood Consortium Annual Conference, PNC 2013. Kyoto, Japan, 10 December 2013.
- Margtetts, H., Hale, S. A., Yasseri, T. and John, P. (2013) “Petition growth and success rates online.” Advisory Board for the Oxford Internet Institute. 7 November 2013.
- Hale, S. A. (2013) “Global Connectivity and Multilinguals in the Twitter Network.” CABDyN Network Journal Club, Mathematics Institute, University of Oxford, 26 June 2013.
- Hale, S. A. (2012) Language as an information filter. The Knowledge Commons: Research and Innovation in an Unequal World. St Antony’s International Review, University of Oxford, 17 May 2012.
- Hale, S. A. (2012) Mining the web for user behaviour insights. Information Systems Seminar, Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford, 15 May 2012.
- Hale, S. A. and Margetts, H. (2012) Big Data and Visualization, Poster, Web Science Track, World Wide Web Conference (WWW2012), Lyon, France.
- Hale, S. A. (2012) Impact of platform design on cross-language information exchange. University of Wolverhampton, 1 February 2012.
- Hale, S. A. (2011) Marketing campaigns for multiple language communities online. Huddle Mindshare, London, 3 November 2011.
- Hale, S. A., Petzold, T. and Liao, H. (2011) Language and the Internet: Developing a language-intelligent approach. Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society, Berlin, Germany, 28 October 2011.
- Gonzalez-Bailon, S., and Hale, S. A. (2011) Ideological Divides Online. A Decade in Internet Time, Oxford, 23 September 2011.
- Hale, S. A. (2011) Net Increase? Cross-lingual Linking in the Blogosphere. Workshop: Making Maps: Generating and analyzing spatial data sets. James Martin School, 27 May 2011.
- Hale, S. A. (2011) Net Increase? Cross-lingual linking in the blogosphere. Nuffield–OII Social Networks Seminar, University of Oxford, 31 January 2011.
- Leadership without Leaders? Starters and Followers in Online Collective Action [Presentation] European Consortium of Political Research (ECPR) general conference in Rejkavik on 26 August 2011.
- Hale, S. A. (2010) Cross-lingual knowledge sharing online: Blogging the 2010 Haitian earthquake. Nissan Institute of Japanese Studies, University of Oxford, 11 November 2010.