Internet and Language
- Wang, Z., Hale, S.A., Ifeoluwa Adelani, D., Grabowicz, P., Hartman, T., Flöck, F., and Jurgens, D. (2019) Demographic Inference and Representative Population Estimates from Multilingual Social Media Data. In Proceedings of the Web Conference 2019, WWW 2019, ACM.
Open-access |Blog | Python package | Web demo
- Hale, S. A. and Eleta, I. (2017). Foreign-language Reviews: Help or Hindrance? In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Annual Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI 2017, ACM.
- Hale, S. A. (2016). User Reviews and Language: How Language Influences Ratings. In Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’16, ACM.
- Kim, S., Park, S., Hale, S. A., Kim, S., Byun, J., Oh, A. H. (2016) Understanding editing behaviors in multilingual Wikipedia.
- Hale, S. A. (2015). Cross-language Wikipedia editing of Okinawa, Japan. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’15, ACM.
- Liao, H.T., King-wa, F., and Hale, S. A. (2015) How much is said in a microblog? A multilingual inquiry based on Weibo and Twitter. In Proceedings of the 7th Annual ACM Web Science Conference, WebSci ’15, ACM.
- Hale, S. A. (2014). Global Connectivity and multilinguals in the Twitter network. In Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’14, ACM.
- Hale, S. A. (2014). Multilinguals and Wikipedia editing. In Proceedings of the 6th Annual ACM Web Science Conference, WebSci ’14, ACM.
- Hale, S. A. (2014). Okinawa in Japanese and English Wikipedia. In Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’14, ACM.
- Graham, M., Hale, S. A., and Gaffney, D. (2014). Where in the world are you? Geolocation and language identification in Twitter. Professional Geographer. doi:10.1080/00330124.2014.907699.
Preprint coy | Published version
- Hale, S. A. (2012). Impact of platform design on cross-language information exchange. In Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI’12, ACM.
Preprint copy | Open access link to published version
- Hale, S. A. (2012). Net increase? Cross-lingual linking in the blogosphere. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 17(2), 135-151.
Internet and Collective Action / Government
- Hale, S. A., John, P., Margetts, H. and Yasseri, T. (2018) How digital design shapes political participation: A natural experiment with social information. PloS one. 13 (4) e0196068.
- Aragón, P., Sáez-Trumper, D., Redi, M., Hale, S. A., Gómez, V., Kaltenbrunner, A.. (2018) Online petitioning through data exploration and what we found there: A dataset of petitions from Avaaz.org. In Proceedings of the 12th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM 2018).
- Yasseri, T., Hale, S. A., Margetts, H. (2017). Rapid rise and decay in petition signing. EPJ Data Science, 6(20).
- Margetts, H., John, P., Hale, S. A., and Yasseri, T. (2015) Political Turbulence: How Social Media Shape Collective Action. Princeton University Press.
- Hale, S. A., John, P., Margetts, H., and Yasseri, T. (Draft) Investigating political participation and social information using big data and a natural experiment. American Political Science Association (APSA) 2014 Annual Meeting Paper.
- Hale, S. A., Yasseri, Y., Cowls, J., Meyer, E.T., Schroeder, R., and Margetts, H. (2014) Mapping the UK webspace: Fifteen years of British universities on the web. In Proceedings of the 2014 ACM conference on Web science (WebSci ’14). ACM.
Preprint copy | Meta-data | Open access link to published version
- Hale, S. A., Margetts, H., and Yasseri, T. (2013). Petition growth and success rates on the UK No. 10 Downing Street website. In Proceedings of the 5th Annual ACM Web Science Conference, WebSci ’13, ACM.
Preprint copy | Open access link to published version
- Margetts, H., John, P., Hale, S. A., and Reissfelder, S. (2013). Leadership without leaders? Starters and followers in collective action on the Internet. Political Studies.
Preprint copy | Published version
- Margetts, H., John, P., Reissfelder, S., and Hale, S. A. (Draft). Applying Social Influence to Collective Action: Heterogeneous Personality Effects
- Margetts, H., & Hale, S. A. (2010) User Experiments. Phase 1: Life Events Report (pp. 79-96). In Study on user expectations of a life events approach for designing e-government services, European Commission.
- Alexander, V., Blank, G. and Hale, S. A. (2018) Digital traces of distinction? Popular orientation and user-engagement with status hierarchies in TripAdvisor reviews of cultural organizations. New Media and Society.
- McNeill, G., Bright, J., and Hale, S. A. (2017) Estimating local commuting patterns from geolocated Twitter data. EPJ Data Science, 6(24).
- Hale, S., Blank, G. and Alexander, V. (2017) Live versus archive: Comparing a web archive to a population of web pages In The Web as History (open-access) Brügger, N. and Schroeder, R. (eds.). London: UCL Press. 45-61.
- Meyer, E., Yasseri, T., Hale, S., Cowls, J., Schroeder, R. and Margetts, H. (2017) Analysing the UK web domain and exploring 15 years of UK universities on the web In The Web as History (open-access) Brugger, N. and Schroeder, R. (eds.). London: UCL Press. 23-44.
- Graham M., Stephens M., and Hale S. (2013). Mapping the Geoweb: A Geography of Twitter. Environment and Planning A. 45(1) pp. 100–102. Pion Ltd, London. doi:10.1068/a45349
- Graham, M., Hale, S., and Stephens, M. (2012). Featured graphic: Digital Divide: The Geography of Internet Access. Environment and Planning A. 44 (5) pp. 1009-1010. Pion Ltd, London. doi:10.1068/a44497
- Graham, M., Hale, S. A. and Stephens, M. (2011) Geographies of the World’s Knowledge. London, Convoco! Edition. This publication also resulted in an online visualization gallery.
- Oostveen, A., Meyer, E., Cobo, C., Hjorth, I., Reisdorf, B., Papoutsi, C., Power, L., Abdel-Sattar, N., Hale, S. and Waldburger, M. (2011) First Year Report on Scientific Workshop. SESERV Deliverable D1.2, Socio-Economic Services for European Research Projects FP7-2010-ICT-258138-CSA.
- Miloshevic, D., Hale, S., Law, G. (2011) RIPE NCC Membership and Stakeholder Survey 2011.
Image Processing and Information Visualization
- McNeill, G. and Hale, S. (2017) Generating Tile Maps. Eurographics Conference on Visualization (EuroVis), Barcelona, Spain, 12 – 16 June 2017.
- Hale, S., McNeill, G. and Bright, J. (2017) Where’d it go? How geographic and force-directed layouts affect network task performance, EuroRV3: EuroVis Workshop on Reproducibility, Verification, and Validation in Visualization (2017) Lawonn, K., Smit, N. and Cunningham, D. (eds.). EuroRV3: EuroVis Workshop on Reproducibility, Verification, and Validation in Visualization, a workshop Eurovis 2017, Barcelona, Spain. The Eurographics Association.
- Hale, S. A. (2008). Unsupervised thresholding for automatic extraction of dolphin dorsal fin outlines from digital photographs in DARWIN (Digital Analysis and Recognition of Whale Images on a Network). vol. Senior Thesis, Eckerd College, 2008.
- Hale, S. A. (2008). A new approach to unsupervised thresholding for automatic extraction of dolphin dorsal fin outlines from digital photographs in DARWIN. The Eckerd Scholar 2008. Eckerd College, 65-74.
- Stewman, J., Debure, K., Hale, S., and Russell, A. (2006). Iterative 3-D Pose Correction and Content-Based Image Retrieval for Dorsal Fin Recognition. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, International Conference on Image Analysis and Recognition (ICIAR). Springer-Verlag, September 2006.
Preprint version |Published version |Presentation Slides
- Hale, S.A. (2006). Unsupervised thresholding morphological processing for automatic fin-outline extraction in DARWIN (Digital Analysis and Recognition of Whale Images on a Network). ACM Student Research Competition
Selected Research Projects
- Current Affairs 2.0: Agenda setting in the European Union. This is a 4-year project funded by the Volkswagen Foundation comparing political, media, and public agendas across languages and countries within the EU, over time.
- Nexus—Real Time data fusion and Network Analysis for Urban Systems. I am a co-investigator on this 24-month, grant from InnovateUK. The grant is a collaboration with BT, who approached me based on my previous network visualization work, and I lead a stream of work packages related to the visualization of geospatial and temporal network data.
- Human translation of user-generated content. I am the principal investigator on this grant from the John Fell Fund to investigate patterns and effects of human translation of user-generated content and the effects of system and interface design.
- The Ecology of Online Petitioning. I was a co-investigator on this 12-month project funded by Google.
- Interactive visualisations for teaching, research, and dissemination. I led this five-month project funded by JISC
- Big Data: Demonstrating the Value of the UK Web Domain Dataset for Social Science Research. I led the writing of the grant proposal and managed the 18-month project funded by JISC.
- The Internet, Public Policy and Political Science: Collective Action, Governance and Citizen-Government Interactions in the Digital Era. I worked as a research assistant on this three-year research projected funded by the Economic and Social Research Council.