Internet and Language
- Hale, S. A. and Eleta, I. (2017). Foreign-language Reviews: Help or Hindrance? In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Annual Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI 2017, ACM.
- Hale, S. A. (2016). User Reviews and Language: How Language Influences Ratings. In Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’16, ACM.
- Kim, S., Park, S., Hale, S. A., Kim, S., Byun, J., Oh, A. H. (2016) Understanding editing behaviors in multilingual Wikipedia.
- Hale, S. A. (2015). Cross-language Wikipedia editing of Okinawa, Japan. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’15, ACM.
- Liao, H.T., King-wa, F., and Hale, S. A. (2015) How much is said in a microblog? A multilingual inquiry based on Weibo and Twitter. In Proceedings of the 7th Annual ACM Web Science Conference, WebSci ’15, ACM.
- Hale, S. A. (2014). Global Connectivity and multilinguals in the Twitter network. In Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’14, ACM.
- Hale, S. A. (2014). Multilinguals and Wikipedia editing. In Proceedings of the 6th Annual ACM Web Science Conference, WebSci ’14, ACM.
- Hale, S. A. (2014). Okinawa in Japanese and English Wikipedia. In Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’14, ACM.
- Graham, M., Hale, S. A., and Gaffney, D. (2014). Where in the world are you? Geolocation and language identification in Twitter. Professional Geographer. doi:10.1080/00330124.2014.907699.
[Preprint coy][Published version]
- Hale, S. A. (2012). Impact of platform design on cross-language information exchange. In Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI’12, ACM.
[Preprint copy][Open access link to published version]
- Hale, S. A. (2012). Net increase? Cross-lingual linking in the blogosphere. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 17(2), 135-151.
Internet and Collective Action / Government
- Hale, S. A., John, P., Margetts, H. and Yasseri, T. (2018) How digital design shapes political participation: A natural experiment with social information. PloS one. 13 (4) e0196068.
- Aragón, P., Sáez-Trumper, D., Redi, M., Hale, S. A., Gómez, V., Kaltenbrunner, A.. (2018) Online petitioning through data exploration and what we found there: A dataset of petitions from Avaaz.org. In Proceedings of the 12th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM 2018).
- Yasseri, T., Hale, S. A., Margetts, H. (2017). Rapid rise and decay in petition signing. EPJ Data Science, 6(20).
- Margetts, H., John, P., Hale, S. A., and Yasseri, T. (2015) Political Turbulence: How Social Media Shape Collective Action. Princeton University Press.
- Hale, S. A., John, P., Margetts, H., and Yasseri, T. (Draft) Investigating political participation and social information using big data and a natural experiment. American Political Science Association (APSA) 2014 Annual Meeting Paper.
- Hale, S. A., Yasseri, Y., Cowls, J., Meyer, E.T., Schroeder, R., and Margetts, H. (2014) Mapping the UK webspace: Fifteen years of British universities on the web. In Proceedings of the 2014 ACM conference on Web science (WebSci ’14). ACM.
[Preprint copy][Meta-data][Open access link to published version]
- Hale, S. A., Margetts, H., and Yasseri, T. (2013). Petition growth and success rates on the UK No. 10 Downing Street website. In Proceedings of the 5th Annual ACM Web Science Conference, WebSci ’13, ACM.
[Preprint copy][Open access link to published version]
- Margetts, H., John, P., Hale, S. A., and Reissfelder, S. (2013). Leadership without leaders? Starters and followers in collective action on the Internet. Political Studies.
[Preprint copy] [Published version]
- Margetts, H., John, P., Reissfelder, S., and Hale, S. A. (Draft). Applying Social Influence to Collective Action: Heterogeneous Personality Effects
- Margetts, H., & Hale, S. A. (2010) User Experiments. Phase 1: Life Events Report (pp. 79-96). In Study on user expectations of a life events approach for designing e-government services, European Commission.
- Alexander, V., Blank, G. and Hale, S. A. (2018) Digital traces of distinction? Popular orientation and user-engagement with status hierarchies in TripAdvisor reviews of cultural organizations. New Media and Society.
- McNeill, G., Bright, J., and Hale, S. A. (2017) Estimating local commuting patterns from geolocated Twitter data. EPJ Data Science, 6(24).
- Hale, S., Blank, G. and Alexander, V. (2017) Live versus archive: Comparing a web archive to a population of web pages In The Web as History (open-access) Brügger, N. and Schroeder, R. (eds.). London: UCL Press. 45-61.
- Meyer, E., Yasseri, T., Hale, S., Cowls, J., Schroeder, R. and Margetts, H. (2017) Analysing the UK web domain and exploring 15 years of UK universities on the web In The Web as History (open-access) Brugger, N. and Schroeder, R. (eds.). London: UCL Press. 23-44.
- Graham M., Stephens M., and Hale S. (2013). Mapping the Geoweb: A Geography of Twitter. Environment and Planning A. 45(1) pp. 100–102. Pion Ltd, London. doi:10.1068/a45349
- Graham, M., Hale, S., and Stephens, M. (2012). Featured graphic: Digital Divide: The Geography of Internet Access. Environment and Planning A. 44 (5) pp. 1009-1010. Pion Ltd, London. doi:10.1068/a44497
- Graham, M., Hale, S. A. and Stephens, M. (2011) Geographies of the World’s Knowledge. London, Convoco! Edition. This publication also resulted in an online visualization gallery.
- Oostveen, A., Meyer, E., Cobo, C., Hjorth, I., Reisdorf, B., Papoutsi, C., Power, L., Abdel-Sattar, N., Hale, S. and Waldburger, M. (2011) First Year Report on Scientific Workshop. SESERV Deliverable D1.2, Socio-Economic Services for European Research Projects FP7-2010-ICT-258138-CSA.
- Miloshevic, D., Hale, S., Law, G. (2011) RIPE NCC Membership and Stakeholder Survey 2011.
Image Processing and Information Visualization
- McNeill, G. and Hale, S. (2017) Generating Tile Maps. Eurographics Conference on Visualization (EuroVis), Barcelona, Spain, 12 – 16 June 2017.
- Hale, S., McNeill, G. and Bright, J. (2017) Where’d it go? How geographic and force-directed layouts affect network task performance, EuroRV3: EuroVis Workshop on Reproducibility, Verification, and Validation in Visualization (2017) Lawonn, K., Smit, N. and Cunningham, D. (eds.). EuroRV3: EuroVis Workshop on Reproducibility, Verification, and Validation in Visualization, a workshop Eurovis 2017, Barcelona, Spain. The Eurographics Association.
- Hale, S. A. (2008). Unsupervised thresholding for automatic extraction of dolphin dorsal fin outlines from digital photographs in DARWIN (Digital Analysis and Recognition of Whale Images on a Network). vol. Senior Thesis, Eckerd College, 2008.
- Hale, S. A. (2008). A new approach to unsupervised thresholding for automatic extraction of dolphin dorsal fin outlines from digital photographs in DARWIN. The Eckerd Scholar 2008. Eckerd College, 65-74.
- Stewman, J., Debure, K., Hale, S., and Russell, A. (2006). Iterative 3-D Pose Correction and Content-Based Image Retrieval for Dorsal Fin Recognition. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, International Conference on Image Analysis and Recognition (ICIAR). Springer-Verlag, September 2006.
Preprint version |Published version |Presentation Slides
- Hale, S.A. (2006). Unsupervised thresholding morphological processing for automatic fin-outline extraction in DARWIN (Digital Analysis and Recognition of Whale Images on a Network). ACM Student Research Competition
Selected Research Projects
- Current Affairs 2.0: Agenda setting in the European Union. This is a 4-year project funded by the Volkswagen Foundation comparing political, media, and public agendas across languages and countries within the EU, over time.
- Nexus—Real Time data fusion and Network Analysis for Urban Systems. I am a co-investigator on this 24-month, grant from InnovateUK. The grant is a collaboration with BT, who approached me based on my previous network visualization work, and I lead a stream of work packages related to the visualization of geospatial and temporal network data.
- Human translation of user-generated content. I am the principal investigator on this grant from the John Fell Fund to investigate patterns and effects of human translation of user-generated content and the effects of system and interface design.
- The Ecology of Online Petitioning. I was a co-investigator on this 12-month project funded by Google.
- Interactive visualisations for teaching, research, and dissemination. I led this five-month project funded by JISC
- Big Data: Demonstrating the Value of the UK Web Domain Dataset for Social Science Research. I led the writing of the grant proposal and managed the 18-month project funded by JISC.
- The Internet, Public Policy and Political Science: Collective Action, Governance and Citizen-Government Interactions in the Digital Era. I worked as a research assistant on this three-year research projected funded by the Economic and Social Research Council.